skip to main content

United Reformed Church

The wrought iron railings and pedestrian gates of the United Reformed Church in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, were originally designed by the Staffordshire architect Absalom R. Wood (1851-1922) and built in 1905.

Like many buildings throughout England, the original railings and gates were removed during the war. Their replacement was part funded by Burslem Townscape Heritage Initiative. 

Wrought Iron Railings
Wrought Iron Railings


Wood is known for other significant buildings in the Potteries area, including  Tunstall Town Hall (1883-85), the Queen Victoria Jubilee Building (1889) and the School of Art, Burslem (1908).

These and original ironwork still remaining in the town hall were the inspiration for project, which also involved working with CTD Architects and local heritage and conservation specialists.

Wrought Iron Railings
Wrought Iron Railings
/media/projects/library/united-reform-church.jpg
Wrought Iron Railings

Square holes were cut into the coping stones with the sections secured using lime mortar and stone dust.

Share this page:
Share via email